Words simply do not do this Spicy Serrano Chilaquiles justice. What can we say about it, other than it's extraordinarily delicious! It's crunchy, saucy, spicy and perfect for breakfast (top with an egg!), lunch or even dinner—what more could you want from a dish!?
PREP: 20 Min. | COOK: 15 Min. | TOTAL: 35 Min.
- 10 ripe Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 8 Serrano chiles, left whole, stems removed
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 white onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons Schultz's Green Chili Lime Cooking Sauce
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Chicken base, for seasoning
- 6 ounces tomato puree
- 8 ounces cooked and shredded chicken
- 3 ounces chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- 6 ounces tortilla chips,
- 6 ounces sour cream, for serving (optional)
- 1 onion (red or white), sliced into rings, for serving (optional)
- 12 ounces crumbled queso fresco cheese, for serving (optional)
- Avocado, for serving (optional)
How To Make
STEP 1: Grill the tomatoes, chiles, garlic and onions until they have a slightly blackened skin. Do not burn!
STEP 2: Bring 6 cups water to a boil with the blackened veggies until they are cooked through and soft inside.
STEP 3: Pour the veggies with the hot water and Schultz's Green Chili Lime Cooking Sauce into a food processor and process. Don't blend too much, you want the mixture to be chunky.
STEP 4: In a large pot, heat up the oil until smoking. Then (carefully!) add a small amount of the sauce mixture and let it burn away for 1 minute (this is for a nice smoky flavor). Then slowly add the rest of the mixture and season with salt and some chicken base. Add the tomato puree for color, and mix well. Add the shredded chicken and cook until it is heated through, the add the cilantro and chips.
STEP 5: Serve immediately.Top each plate with sour cream, sliced onions, queso fresco, avocado and cilantro.
Recipe inspired by Solomon's Landing