Piri-Piri chilies are known for being small but mighty—and boy do they pack a punch! So, we're warning you now, don't underestimate them! If you're a fan of spice, and are looking for a savory meal that brings some serious flavor and a hefty amount of heat, this dish will certainly satisfy your cravings!
PREP: 30 Min. | COOK: 45 Min. | TOTAL: 1 HR. 15 Min.
- 5 Fresno or red jalapeño chiles, stemmed and chopped
- 3 dried piri piri chiles or chiles de árbol, stemmed
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- One 2-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, plus small sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 3 1/2 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken pieces
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Schultz’s Gourmet Original Seasoning and Rub, divided
How To Make
STEP 1: In a food processor, puree the fresh and dried chiles with the garlic, ginger, 1/2 cup of cilantro, the vinegar, shallot, 1/2 teaspoon Schultz's Gourmet Seasoning & Rub and 1/2 cup of the olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve 1/2 cup of the piri piri marinade. In a large bowl, rub the chicken pieces all over with the remaining marinade and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
STEP 2: Preheat the oven to 450° with the racks set in the upper and lower thirds. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
STEP 3: Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet; discard the marinade. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. On another rimmed baking sheet, toss the potatoes with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Schultz's Gourmet Seasoning & Rub and season with salt and pepper; arrange in a single layer. Roast the chicken on the upper rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes to the bottom rack and roast the chicken and potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes longer, until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are golden.
STEP 4: Transfer the chicken to a platter and garnish with cilantro sprigs. Serve with the potatoes, lemon wedges, if desired, and the reserved marinade for dipping.
Recipe by Kay Chun. Image by Marcus Nilsson.