For the perfect spring picnic snack, try making these Ricotta and Fava Bean Toasts! The rich and creamy flavor of the ricotta paired with the lightly sweet taste of fava beans, makes for a delicate and delightful bite that is sure to satisfy!
- 3 quart water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt, divided, plus more for serving
- 1 pound unshelled fava beans
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- Crusty Bread, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup fresh whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- whole tarragon or mint leaves, for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for serving
How To Make
STEP 1: Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a large stockpot over high. Stir in 2 tablespoons salt. Add beans to boiling water. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, immediately transfer beans to a bowl filled with ice water; let stand 2 minutes. Drain well. Stir together half of the beans beans, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. In another small bowl, combine the remaining beans, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon. Mash beans with a fork until smooth. Set aside.
STEP 2: Preheat grill to medium-high (400°F to 450°F). Brush bread slices evenly on both sides with remaining 1/3 cup oil. Place on unoiled grates; grill, uncovered, until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes per side.
STEP 3: Stir together ricotta, chopped tarragon, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; spread mashed fava beans evenly on 1 side of each toast slice; top a dollop of ricotta and whole favas. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with tarragon or mint leaves.
Recipe inspired by Baron Ziegler.