An Italian classic to keep you happy and warm on the coldest of days! Made with a hearty broth, and full of your favorite veggies, this recipe is both delicious and ultra-filling. Bonus: This Minestrone stores well, meaning your bowl of leftover soup will still taste amazing, even if it is a day or two later!
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium ribs celery, chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (we recommend potatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, butternut squash and green beans)
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 28 oz diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 32oz vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup orecchiette, ditalini or other small pasta of choice
- 15oz Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups baby spinach or chopped kale
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How To Make
STEP 1: Warm 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, tomato paste and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables have softened and the onions are turning translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes.
STEP 2: Add the seasonal vegetables, garlic, oregano and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
STEP 3: Pour in the diced tomatoes and their juices, broth and water. Add the salt, bay leaves and red pepper flakes. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
STEP 4: Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot with the lid, leaving about a 1” gap for steam to escape. Reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer.
STEP 5: Cook for 15 minutes, then remove the lid and add the pasta, beans and greens. Continue simmering, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the the pasta is cooked al dente and the greens are tender.
STEP 6: Remove the pot from the heat, then remove the bay leaves. Stir in the lemon juice and remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste. Garnish with grated Parmesan.