In Italy they call it, Angioletti Fritti con Rucola e Pomodori, which translates "Fried Angels with Arugula and Tomatoes." This simple fresh salad of tomatoes, arugula, lots of garlic, and oregano is topped with crispy, heavenly fried dough (or angels!). You can think of this salad as a deliciously deconstructed (and possibly healthier??) version of pizza!
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 16 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 ball Naples-style pizza dough
- Fine semolina, for dusting
- 4 1⁄2 cups baby arugula
- Lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
STEP 1: Mix oil, oregano, garlic, tomatoes, salt, and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
STEP 2: Pour enough canola oil into a 6-qt. saucepan to reach a depth of 2". Heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Dust dough with semolina, and roll dough into a 4" x 9" rectangle about 1⁄3" thick. Cut dough into 1⁄2" x 2" strips. Fry strips, until puffed and golden, 3-4 minutes. Drain
STEP 3: Toss fried dough with tomatoes and their juices, arugula, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Recipe inspired by Saveur.