Happy Earth Day!
It's Earth Day. So I'm taking some time to reflect on our planet: I'm revisiting 1908's mission and values, looking at what we’re doing to show Mother Earth some love, and considering how we as a company can do better to create a new environmental legacy.
Our Founding Values and Promises
In 1908, William Kent, a relative of mine, donated 300 acres of Redwood Grove known today as Muir Woods National Monument. An advocate of access for all, he knew if we wanted our home to thrive, we had to protect it. 1908 Brands was founded in this spirit and applies the same commitment to your home and our planet.
Giving Back To Protect Our Lands and Seas
We are committed to protecting our home ... the world we all share. So we thought, how can we work with other like-minded businesses and people to make an even bigger impact? That’s when we joined 1% For The Planet – to bring dollars and doers together and inspire world-bettering solutions. Through our partnership, we give 1% of our annual sales to local and national nonprofits on a similar mission to protect, preserve, and conserve our land. We all benefit from nature, so we are all responsible for doing our part to maintain it. Protecting our world isn’t a 9-5 job, it’s our lifelong passion.
When looking at the products of our Boulder Clean brand, you’ll notice an EPA Safer Choice logo. But what exactly does that mean? Safer Choice is the EPA's program for safer chemical-based products and represents leadership in safer product formulation. It means that 1908 Brands has invested heavily in research and reformulation to ensure that our products meet the safety criteria for both human health and the environment.
Products have to pass stringent criteria in order to earn the Safer Choice label. Every chemical in a Safer Choice-certified product is evaluated through EPA's rigorous scientific process and only the safest possible functional ingredients are allowed. The Safer Choice program reviews more than just product ingredients. They also look at product performance, pH, packaging and more to ensure that products that carry the label are safer for you and your family. We’re very proud to have been named Safer Choice Partner of the Year three times now!
Not only do our products contain safer ingredients for you, your home, and our planet, but we implement sustainable packaging measures and are always looking for ways to improve our packaging profile. We develop recyclable packaging from recycled materials and package our products in post-consumer recycled plastic whenever we can.
We know we’re not perfect yet, but we’re working on it. As we continue to grow and learn, we are finding ways we can change our products, packaging and manufacturing processes to become more sustainable and eco-friendly!
Simple Ways To Celebrate Earth Day:
- When you can, choose to bike, walk or use public transportation.
- Choose environmentally conscious cleaners (like Boulder Clean!)
- Shop Local - Opt for locally made, grown or sourced products like fruits, veggies, protein, and more!
- If you’re buying clothing or furniture consider buying secondhand or gently used items.
- Try to reduce your consumption of meat and fish, even if you can’t totally eliminate them from your diet something as small as Meatless Mondays or Fish-Free Fridays can really help the environment and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Plant a tree or flowers.
- Spend the day picking up trash at your local park, beach or river or on your favorite trails!
- Reduce your single use plastics! If you don't already own a reusable water bottle, reusable straws or reusable bags now is a great time to make the switch! Most grocery stores or major retailers like Target or Walmart should have reusable products to help you go green.
A Few Final Thoughts
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
As you celebrate Earth Day and it comes to a close, remember that our planet is something that should be celebrated not just once a year, but every single day. If we take the practices and actions we generally reserve for Earth Day and apply them on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis, surely we will all start to find the beautiful world we share looking a little greener, becoming a little cleaner and hopefully lasting for many generations to come.
CEO + Founder